An immense amount of regulations and laws regulate the activities concerning animals, birds, but also fishing, hunting and activities related with other species. We have gathered the majority of these here.
The main national animal protection legislation includes the Animal Protection Act, the Infectious Animal Disease Control Act, the Veterinary Activities Organisation Act and regulations enforced based on this legislation. The Nature Conservation Act, the Hunting Act and the Fishing Act are also relevant in terms of animal protection because these regulate the protection and use of animals living free in nature. All national legislation is available on the webpage of the official gazette of the Republic of Estonia Riigi Teataja.
The Animal Protection Act regulates the protection of animals from human acts or omissions that endanger or may endanger the health or welfare of animals. According to the Animal Protection Act, an animal is a mammal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish or invertebrate.
- Requirements for keeping a pet animal
- Procedure for the capture and keeping of stray animals, for the identification of their owners, and for the killing of stray animals (Estonian)
- Special methods of religious slaughter of farm animals, more detailed substantive and formal requirements for religious slaughter, and requirements and procedure for religious slaughter
- Requirements for keeping a fur animal and for the room or building meant for this purpose (Estonian)
- Requirements for keeping swine and for the room or building meant for this purpose, list of veterinary procedures permitted for swine and people conducting these procedures, and requirements for conducting these procedures and for the preparation of the person conducting these procedures (Estonian)
- Requirements for keeping chicken for meat production, for the room or building meant for this purpose and for training on keeping chicken for meat production (Estonian)
- Requirements for keeping sheep and goats and for the room or building meant for this purpose (Estonian)
- Requirements for keeping cows and for the room or building meant for this purpose (Estonian)
- Requirements for keeping calves and for the room or building meant for this purpose (Estonian)
- Requirements for keeping chicken and for the room or building meant for this purpose (Estonian)
- Requirements for zoo design and buildings and for keeping of zoo animals (Estonian)
- Definitions of the levels of animal procedures and detailed requirements for dividing the animal procedures per level, requirements and methods for killing experimental animals (Estonian)
- Requirements for companies breeding, supplying and using experimental animals, including detailed requirements for keeping track of experimental animals, and specific tasks of an animal welfare body (Estonian)
- Specific requirements for caring of and killing experimental animals, for training programmes for conducting animal procedures and animal projects, and for the topics tackled during the training (Estonian)
- Procedure for forming a project authorisation committee and its operating procedure, protocol forms for animal procedure project application and animal procedure protocol (Estonian)
- Requirements for preparing a risk analysis for an animal procedure conducted with genetically modified animals and the data presented in the risk analysis (Estonian)
The aim of the Nature Conservation Act is to protect the natural environment by promoting the preservation of biodiversity through ensuring the natural habitats and the populations of species of wild fauna, flora and fungi at a favourable conservation status, preserve natural environments of cultural or esthetical value, or elements thereof and to promote the sustainable use of natural resources.
- List of species protected with protected categories I and II (Estonian)
- Protection of species in protected category III (Estonian)
- List of protected category III animal species, in which case the killing of a specimen outside the protected area is permitted (Estonian)
- Procedure for relocation of a specimen from a protected species (Estonian)
- Customs facilities and authorities appointed for importing and exporting specimen of endangered animal and plant species (Estonian)
- List of non-native species endangering the natural balance (Estonian)
- Specific requirements for keeping minks or raccoon dogs and detailed requirements for the farm activity license content (Estonian)
- Order for submitting, reviewing and registering the application for a place where wild game is held in artificial environments (Estonian)
- Method for assessing the damage caused by animal, specified range of loss compensation and procedure for compensation, and specified range and procedure for compensating the expenses spent on damage prevention measures (Estonian)
- List of bodies of water approved as spawning areas or habitats of salmon, brown trout, salmon trout and grayling (Estonian)
The Hunting Act provides for the creation and use of hunting districts, monitoring of wild game, harvest quotas and structure, and other principles of hunting. It determines the documents certifying hunting rights and provides for the compensation for damage caused by wild game, and the state supervision and liability.
- Hunting Rules (Estonian)
- Bases for the calculation of damage caused to the environment by unlawful killing of game or destruction of the natural habitats of game or damaging those habitats and the rates of damage by game species (Estonian)
- List of monitoring data and the procedure for its collection on wild game and the agency authorised for this purpose (Estonian)
- Basis for organisation of hunting within the boundaries of protected natural objects which is not added to a hunting district, or within a hunting district not granted into use or on hunting grounds or in part of a state body of water that is outside of a hunting district (Estonian)
- Procedure for applying for and issuing a hunting dog’s passport and the passport form (Estonian)
- Hunting certificate form, procedure for conducting hunting theory examination and shooting test and for applying for and issuing a hunting certificate, requirements for hunting training and trainer and procedure for conducting the training (Estonian)
- Hunting permit (Estonian)
- Basis and method for assessing the damage caused by cloven-hoofed game to the crops and coniferous trees growing on the forest land, requirements for the assessment reports, specified amount of compensation for damage and compensation procedure and the list of coniferous trees subject to compensation (Estonian)
- Fee for hunting rights, order for its payment and control of payment (Estonian)
Aim of the Fishing Act is to ensure the conservation and economic use of fish and aquatic plant resources on the basis of internationally recognized principles of responsible fisheries, to ensure the reproduction capacity of fish and aquatic plant resources and the productivity of bodies of water, and to avoid undesirable changes in the ecosystem of bodies of water.
- Fishing Rules (Estonian)
- Certification of the procedure for the introduction of fish into bodies of water (Estonian)
- Application requirements for the introduction of fish naturally living in Estonia or the fertilised roe thereof into a body of water, the procedure for issuing introduction permissions and for the introduction itself (Estonian)
- Temporary restrictions on fishing (Estonian)
- Temporary restrictions on fishing, recreational fishing rights fee and maximum amount of fishing gear during recreational fishing in 2016 (Estonian)
- Commercial fishing options and permitted annual catch on Lake Peipus, Lake Lämmijärv and Lake Pskov, on the Baltic Sea and Liivi Bay according to fishing permits, and fishing right rates (Estonian)
- Procedure for applying and issuing fishing cards, deadlines, requirements for the letter of authorisation for removing fishing gear from fishing and procedure for notification of the authorisation, procedure for submitting data on recreational fishing and fee for recreational fishing and procedure for paying for recreational fishing and control of the payment of the fee (Estonian)
- Form for special purpose fishing, additional conditions on special purpose fishing, reviewing, issuing and deeming the application invalid, fee for special purpose fishing and applying for using electric fishing gear, issuing of the certification and deeming the certification invalid (Estonian)
- Procedure for applying and issuing of a fishing card, deadlines, requirements for the letter of authorisation for removing fishing gear from fishing and procedure for notification of the authorisation, procedure for submitting data on recreational fishing and fee for recreational fishing and procedure for paying for recreational fishing and control of the payment of the fee (Estonian)
- Criteria for grouping fishing vessels into subdivisions, requirements set for fishing vessels registered in segments and options for registering the fishing vessel in a segment (Estonian)
- Procedure for issuing, suspension of validity and deeming invalid of fishing vessel fishing license and fishing vessel fishing license form (Estonian)
The Infectious Animal Disease Control Act regulates the protection of animals from infectious animal diseases. This Act provides measures for infectious animal disease control and regulates the application of such measures and payment of compensation for damage caused by infectious animal diseases.
- Infectious Animal Disease Control Rules
- Confirmation of the list of diseases subject to notification and diseases subject to registration (Estonian)
- Enforcement of the list of especially dangerous animal diseases (Estonian)
- Requirements for organisation of zoonosis monitoring (Estonian)
- Rabies Control Rules (Estonian)
- Classical swine fever and African swine fever control rules (Estonian)
- List of not especially dangerous diseases regarding which the damages from animal disease control are compensated (Estonian)
- Veterinary requirements for livestock buildings, facilities and areas enclosed for keeping animals (Estonian)
- Requirements for sending animals from one herd to another or to the slaughterhouse, and veterinary requirements set for these animals (Estonian)
- List of species of farm animals that are subject to identification, the method and procedure for the identification and registration of such animals, the manner of and procedure for registration of the data of farm animals, the procedure for issuing registration certificates, the format of cattle passports, and the rules of accounting farm animals (Estonian)
The Veterinary Activities Organisation Act provides the basis for the organisation of veterinary activities. Veterinary activities are a system of measures applied to protect animal and human health and to ensure the welfare of animals. It includes activities in the areas of animal health, animal product hygiene and animal protection.
The Forest Act regulates the directing of forestry, forest survey and management, and compensating the damage caused to the environment within the meaning of this Act, and provides for liability for violation of this Act.